OVERVIEW ON CHAMINUKA LODGE IN LUSAKA
Chaminuka Lodge is ideally situated, only 25 minutes drive from Lusaka International Airport and 45 minutes from Central Lusaka. Andrew and Danae Sardanis built Chaminuka Lodge in the style of a Zambian village where they lived with their staff until 1998 when they opened it to the general public as a luxury lodge. It now has 30 luxury suites and also houses their huge private collection of African contemporary paintings and sculpture as well as traditional artifacts some one thousand pieces acquired from all over Africa over a period of 50 years. The collection spreads throughout the main house, the guest suites and the gardens and highlights the African culture and way of life over the centuries. The ecology of Chaminuka: miombo woodland, the savannah and the wetlands have been left untouched; the owners have planted (and keep planting) thousands of trees in order to rehabilitate the forest that had made way to farmland; they built dams to conserve the waters of the Kasenga stream that traverses the 10,000 acres of the estate; and they declared the entire property a Zambian nature reserve called The Chaminuka Game Reserve. The Chaminuka Game Reserve is now the habitat of 72 species of Zambian mammals, reptiles and amphibians and some 300 species of birds many native to the area and others visiting the Chaminuka lakes and wetlands for rest and recuperation during their long annual sojourns from the Antarctic and Southern Africa to the Russian steppes and back. Chaminuka area is a microcosm of today’s Zambia, a mixture from all the tribes with many kids of all ages, and churches and schools and its own soccer team that competes with those of the farms in the area. Its people breathe life into Chaminuka and make it a successful all-Zambian self sustaining enterprise that is the livelihood of the 130 families who live on the estate and the financial focus of the many villages that surround it,
Accommodation, Facilities & Amenities At Chaminuka Lodge
- There are 30 separate Chaminuka Lodge suites, each with en-suite bathrooms and air conditioning elegantly decorated in a fusion of contemporary and traditional African themes.
- Several ‘Insakas’ village style lounge areas where guests can relax in private, enjoying the glorious panoramic views across Chaminuka’s African eden which melts into the wilderness beyond.
- TV, Minibars, safes and hairdryers in every room.
- Valet and laundry service, Nanny and babysitting service.
- Internet connectivity services, Three libraries.
- Billiard room with full size snooker table, Floodlit tennis court.
- Pool table and table tennis table.
- Sauna, Swimming pool , Jacuzzi.
- Art and artifact shop offering a collection of paintings, sculptures and traditional artifacts.
Dining At Chaminuka Lodge
- Using as many organic, locally grown products as possible, Chaminuka’s food is a combination of the best international cuisine, transformed into a Zambian culinary delight.
- Lunch is served by the swimming pool. It is a barbeque and buffet offering a mixture of influences French, Italian Greek, Eastern Mediterranean and Oriental Cuisine. It provides an array of dishes to satisfy all tastes.
- Dinner at Chaminuka Lodge is served in the terraced restaurant and offers a variety of Zambian game dishes along with French, Italian, Greek, Indian, Portuguese and Chinese. Vegetarians and those with special dietary needs can be individually catered for.
Activities From Chaminuka Lodge
- Tour of the Chaminuka Art Collection. You can marvel at the art and by special arrangement you can meet many of the artists in person. They can share their experiences with you and explain what motivates and inspires them.
- Wildlife viewing and game drives in the Chaminuka Game Reserve.
- Lusaka City and Day Tours.
- Visit the Kalimba Reptile Farm.
- Visit The Lusaka Museum.
- Experience Kabwata Cultural Village.
- Shopping for tribal arts and craft.
- Visit Mundawanga Botanical Gardens.
- Visit the Chaminuka Wildlife Sanctuary.
- Tours to Victoria Falls, Livingstone and Safaris in Mosi-O-Tunya.
- Connect with wildlife viewing and safaris in South Luangwa, North Luangwa, Lower Zambezi, Kafue and Lochinvar.