OVERVIEW ON CHIAWA CAMP IN LOWER ZAMBEZI
Resting peacefully on the banks of the Zambezi River, under a grove of evergreen Mahogany trees, Chiawa Camp holds the prime position in the heart of Zambia’s Lower Zambezi National Park. It is at this very spot, where David Livingstone ventured through nearly 150 years previously, where the Cumings Family in 1989 created the very first photo safari operation in the Lower Zambezi National Park and what has since become one of Africa’s most desirable, sought after safari destinations. Constructed mainly of natural materials Chiawa Camp blends in effortlessly with its idyllic surroundings and it is here where guests receive the very best Africa has to offer. A stunning thatched lounge/bar area with upstairs viewing deck provides one of the best views of the Zambezi. There are five Classic Safari Tents, one Honeymoon Tent and three Superior Tents at Chiawa Camp, accommodating a maximum of 16 guests on an individual basis or a maximum of 18 guests if the camp is booked out in its entirety for a group. The tents all have excellent views and are accessed by paths running behind them to maximize privacy.
Accommodation, Facilities & Amenities At Chiawa Camp
- Chiawa Camp Classic Safari Tents: are available with two twin beds or a double. These elegantly appointed and generously proportioned tents are the epitome of Old Africa safari style but with all the comfort and convenience necessary for today’s discerning adventurer. Set on elevated timber decks overlooking the Zambezi River, these have 220v and 12v electricity, brass electric table fans and feature en-suite shower, flush loo and washbasin with hot and cold running water 24/7 of course.
- Chiawa Camp Honeymoon Tent: This Tent has a beautiful view of the Zambezi, the escarpment and Chiawa dry river bed. The tent is the same size as the Classic Safari Tents, has a double bed, a Victorian bath with a view, his & hers wash basins and a shower big enough for two all in wood and brass.
- Chiawa CampSuperior Tents: Chiawa has two Superior Safari Tents and these offer Africa’s very finest tented accommodation. Chiawa Camp believes these “tents” set a new standard for Zambia in bush-luxury; however they still retain the rustic and unpretentious feel that Chiawa is so well loved for. Each is extra large, under thatch, has amazing views, a King bed, ceiling and table fan, 220v and 12v electricity, pure cotton linens, Molton Brown amenities, en-suite bathrooms each with island roll-top bath, his & hers washbasins, and indoor & outdoor showers. The two tents differ in that Superior I’s bathroom, whilst still on the deck and under the roof, is outside the tent whereas the Superior II tent’s bathroom is incorporated within the tent. Both are truly excellent! Its piece de resistance is an outdoor tree-shower; a shower set up in a mahogany tree overlooking the Zambezi and the dry river bed. Surely the tree-shower qualifies for the most unique shower in the bush and almost certainly for the best view. As for the rest of the bathroom, and the tent itself; the photos speak for themselves. Chiawa’s Superior Safari Tent is an ideal, romantic retreat for Honeymoon couples, for those celebrating special occasions, or for those who simply want to experience Zambia’s finest tented safari accommodation!
Dining At Chiawa Camp
- Chiawa Camp is renowned for its excellent cuisine, oft described as an Afro/Euro fusion, in which even the most demanding palates are catered for. Chiawa’s imaginative Executive Chefs, ensure meals are of the highest standard, that they are prepared with the freshest of ingredients and with the utmost of care.
- Depending on the day’s activities, breakfasts, brunches and lunches are hot & cold buffet usually served al-fresco, sometimes in the bush, and even on a boat in the middle of the Zambezi!. Afternoon tea with sweet & savory snacks is usually served upstairs on the viewing platform overlooking the Zambezi and just prior to the afternoon safari activities.
- Dinners are usually 4 courses, table d’hote, always offered with a choice of main course, and served under the stars by the camp fire or, if you are visiting during the full moon, on a sand bar in the middle of the Zambezi.
Activities At Chiawa Camp
- Morning, afternoon and night wildlife viewing and game drives.
- Boat Safari – Wildlife viewing on the magnificent Zambezi River.
- Sunset and Sundowner cruises on the Zambezi River for honeymooners/special events.
- Fishing safari expeditions on the Zambezi River.
- Experience Zambia’s renowned Africa walking safaris in Lower Zambezi National Park.
- Canoeing down stream on the Zambezi River for adults travelers.