OVERVIEW ON CHONGWE RIVER CAMP IN LOWER ZAMBEZI
Chongwe River Camp is situated on the confluence of the Chongwe and Zambezi River, directly opposite Mana Pools. Under a complete canopy of huge Winterthorn Acacias, the camp occupies an unrivalled location, used twice by David Livingstone on his travels, as did Frederick Courtney Selous (See Selous Game Reserve In Tanzania), when he hunted in this, his favorite wilderness! Chongwe River Camp is a luxury ‘bush camp’ situated in a wilderness area; elephant are more numerous than people in the Albida grove. There are no fences and the animals have complete right of way.The Chongwe River is the boundary of the Lower Zambezi National Park, a four thousand square kilometer pristine sanctuary, teeming with game, and said to be one of the continent’s most picturesque wilderness areas. A policy of non-intrusive enjoyment of wildlife and low environmental impact has preserved the area and its wildlife. The Lower Zambezi has become one of southern Africa’s premier destinations for peaceful game viewing and unparalleled tiger fish angling.
Accommodation, Facilities & Amenities At Chongwe River Camp
- The camp itself looks onto the confluence of the two rivers and the mountains of the escarpment to the north.
- The chalets are large, well appointed tents under thatch, with a luxury open air bathroom on suite. Situated under a canopy of Albida thorns and surrounded by cool lawns, they command fabulous views over the confluence of the Chongwe and Zambezi Rivers. Each tent sleeps two people, in twin or double beds.
- The Bathrooms are an experience on their own. Shower under the stars or the early morning sunshine. All fittings are made from natural materials found near the lodge.
- Chongwe River Camp is a family owned and run business dedicated not only to providing your dream safari experience but also hospitality that can only be found in a home.
- One does not have to even leave the camp to see and hear a wide variety of wildlife. Relaxing in the sitting out area over looking the river, one can see a constant procession of game coming down to drink as well as over 250 species of birds.
Dining At Chongwe River Camp
- Chongwe River Camp’s chef will prepare a wide variety of dishes, which are served at the outdoor dining table. Dining al fresco in the gloaming of an African night, under a canopy of stars with the sounds of the bush as a backdrop, is truly an unforgettable experience!
Activities At Chongwe River Camp
- Morning, afternoon and night wildlife viewing and game drives.
- Boat Safari – Wildlife viewing on the magnificent Zambezi River.
- Sunset and Sundowner cruises on the Zambezi River for honeymooners/special events.
- Fishing safari expeditions on the Zambezi River.
- Experience Zambia’s renowned Africa walking safaris in Lower Zambezi National Park.
- Canoeing down stream on the Zambezi River for adults travelers.