OVERVIEW ON OLD MONDORO BUSH CAMP IN LOWER ZAMBEZI
The Shona word for lion is Mondoro and the name Old Mondoro derives from the local legend of an old, white lion that used to frequent the area. Although the old white lion has long gone, Old Mondoro Bush Camp reflects the wild spirit that lives on in his descendants that still roam free in this unique part of Africa. The concept of Old Mondoro is simple to step back from the ultra-luxurious lodges to more yesteryear and more authentic remote bush safari that concentrates on the wildlife and bush experience. Old Mondoro is a beautiful site overlooking a maze of hippo-inhabited islands and channels. Here, the Lower Zambezi National Park is characterized by vast flood plains and open woodland making for ideal walking and game viewing opportunities. The area offers excellent game viewing throughout, with there being more elephant, lion and buffalo activity west of Jeki, and Old Mondoro’s area to the east which seems to deliver more frequent leopard and serval sightings, and more plains game such as Zebra and Kudu. Old Mondoro is also noted for its wild dog sightings as the dogs often den in the vicinity, and was the base for the African Wild Dog Conservation researcher for two years. AfricanMecca clients on a safari on lower Zambezi National Park could select an extension for a night or two to Old Mondoro Bush Camp, when staying any other Lower Zambezi safari camps.
Accommodation, Facilities & Amenities At Old Mondoro Bush Camp
- Accommodating only eight guests and of traditional design, Old Mondoro Bush Camp is somewhat reminiscent of the mobile camps of Africa, rebuilt from scratch and then dismantled each safari season.
- Appropriately constructed of canvas and natural materials, the camp has an open and more adventurous feel yet provides a comfortable retreat after a day filled with excitement in the bush, where emphasis is placed on non-motorised safari activities.
- The Old Mondoro test, resting on temporary slabs, have en-suite facilities with flush toilets, and canvas bucket showers and washbasins.
- Paraffin lanterns provide natural lighting. The tents are left with open views during the day, and at night canvas drop-down blinds with windows are lowered to provide more privacy and security.
- Three of the tents have two twin beds and one tent has a double, all with thick foam mattresses, comfortable bedding and large mosquito nets.
- Furniture in the tents is simple, with rustic shelving throughout, a coffee table and chairs in each. All tents have outstanding views of the Zambezi.
Dining At Old Mondoro Bush Camp
- The main tent mess, which serves as a lounge and dining area, rests under a Winter Thorn tree and next to a Sausage Tree overlooking the Zambezi.
- A traditional bush kitchen will supply outstanding meals and fresh bread baked daily. The entire experience is unpretentious and uncomplicated, but promises a unique safari that gives guests the best bush experience possible.
Activities At Old Mondoro Bush Camp
- Morning, afternoon and night wildlife viewing and game drives.
- Boat Safari – Wildlife viewing on the magnificent Zambezi River.
- Sunset and Sundowner cruises on the Zambezi River for honeymooners/special events.
- Fishing safari expeditions on the Zambezi River.
- Experience Zambia’s renowned Africa walking safaris in Lower Zambezi National Park.
- Canoeing down stream on the Zambezi River for adults travelers.