OVERVIEW ON KAINGO CAMP IN SOUTH LUANGWA – NORTHERN
Overlooking the Luangwa River deep within the prime area of the South Luangwa National Park, Kaingo Camp’s relaxed, personal and friendly atmosphere offers its guests fantastic game-viewing opportunities within an area of incredible beauty and varied terrain. Built and run by Derek Shenton, son of Barry Shenton – former ranger in Luangwa and warden of Kafue National Park – Kaingo Camp has many attributes from the Shenton family ranging from the camps stylish design and practical layout to the homemade soaps, textiles, and farm produce. The varied terrain around Kaingo Camp includes the picturesque Fish Eagle lagoon, one of the largest ebony forests in the Park, and the spectacular Lion Plain (the biggest plain in the valley a hugely productive grassland that teems with wildlife) bordered by the meandering Luangwa and Mwmaba Rivers.
The area is ideal walking country (under the watchful escort of an armed scout and guide). A network of carefully planned low impact roads provide excellent coverage of this game-rich terrain. Kaingo Camp has two extremely productive lion prides (Kaingo Camp area had 16 cubs on show last year), which the camp has the pleasure of following and there are more than 8 individual leopards around Kaingo and Mwamba Camps. 95% of Kaingo Camp visitors see a leopard. The elephant and hippo hides are close to camp, which afford visitors close-ups of these great extraordinary mammals. Stork fishing parties, Carmine bee-eater colonies, resident Pels Fishing Owl and Red-billed Quelea in their thousands are among the birding highlights of the area.
Accommodation, Facilities & Amenities At Kaingo Camp
- Kaingo Camp’s chalets were designed with the sole purpose of transporting you safely into the world of the Luangwa without a single distraction. Nestled discretely apart on the banks of the river, Kaingo Camp offers four twin chalets and one honeymoon suite.
- Large fly-wired windows provide stunning views of the river; and the complete absence of generator noise means nothing but the wheeze-honk of a hippo interferes with the sounds of a lions roar, a leopards call or the early morning ‘drumming’ of the Ground Hornbill.
- The Kaingo Camp honeymoon suite is discretely nestled under tall leadwood and sausage trees and, in addition to the indoor ensuite bathroom, has a stunning outdoor bathtub with shady views of a pod of hippos.
- A special feature of Kaingo Camp is the unique wooden deck built out over the river. From this relaxing vantage point just below the central dining area one can view game coming down to drink, basking hippos, aquatic birds, crocodiles fishing, and daily elephant crossings. Game-drives and walks from Kaingo provide exciting photographic opportunities for its guests. The action often starting just outside camp.
Dining At Kaingo Camp
- Meals at Kaingo Camp are freshly prepared with a variety of western and African flavors.
Activities At Kaingo Camp
- Morning, afternoon and night wildlife viewing and game drives.
- Sunset and Sundowners.
- Experience Zambia’s renowned Africa walking safaris in South Luangwa National Park.
- Ornithological experience.
- Community and village visits.