OVERVIEW ON MCHENJA CAMP IN SOUTH LUANGWA – NORTHERN
Mchenja Camp, is a cool and comfortable camp set beneath magnificent Mahogany trees on the edge of a small plain overlooking a permanent waterhole. Mchenja, meaning “the ebony tree”, is set beneath a magnificent grove of these trees on the banks of the Luangwa River.
Accommodation, Facilities & Amenities At Mchenja Camp
- The Mchenja Camp comprises five stylishly designed tents each under its own thatched roof, and each with private en-suite shower and bathroom facilities and inside bath.
- There is a small pool alongside the bar within the thatched main chitenje, allowing guests to seek cool refuge during the heat of the day.
- Mchenja is the perfect camp to complete a walking safari that has combined stays at a number of other Luangwa camps. Alternatively, those guests seeking a little more luxury and pampering may choose to combine a longer stay at Mchenja, either walking or driving.
About Norman Carr’s Camps and Lodges
Norman Carr spent over 50 years devoting himself to the development of the South Luangwa National Park. In the 1950s he pioneered walking safaris in the Zambian bush. His legacy is Norman Carr Safaris, where conservation and care of the local community remain a priority, and where guiding is still based on the principles that Norman developed. The current operation of the Norman Carr Camps and Lodges are all proud to take responsibility for the legacy left by such a great man.
The guiding team at Norman Carr Camps and Lodges are widely regarded to be the most experienced and knowledgeable in Zambia – most of them were trained by Norman himself. The company has set up and is committed to a program of guide exchanges allowing us to expand our knowledge by experiencing similar wilderness operations both in other Parks in Zambia and also around the world.
Dining At Mchenja Camp
- Daytime meals are served in the shade of the trees with a view of the grassy plain that normally attracts an abundance of wildlife, while dinner is taken under the stars accompanied by the many sounds of the African night.
Activities At Mchenja Camp
- Morning, afternoon and night wildlife viewing and game drives.
- Sunset and Sundowners.
- Experience Zambia’s renowned Africa walking safaris in South Luangwa National Park.
- Ornithological experience.
- Community and village visits.