OVERVIEW ON TONGABEZI IN LIVINGSTONE – VICTORIA FALLS
Tongabezi, the first river lodge on the Zambian side of the Victoria Falls, was established in 1990 by Ben Parker and the late Will Ruck-Keene. Tongabezi Lodge is privately owned and run, with the emphasis on exclusivity and romance, enhanced by the warmth and hospitality of the people of Zambia. Days at Tongabezi have no set pattern and can be spent exactly as you wish. Choose simply to relax at the lodge or make the most of a wealth of activities that will keep you busy for days! Each house and cottage at Tongabezi has its own valet who will look after you throughout your stay. With his in-depth knowledge of Tongabezi and the surrounding area, he can become your indispensable source of information.
Accommodation, Facilities & Amenities At Tongabezi
- The Honeymoon House At Tongabezi: The Honeymoon House is so-called because it was the first house, but each of the houses is built with romance and indulgence in mind. Your private balcony overlooking the river is the perfect setting for a romantic dinner under the stars, or you can choose to dine with Tongabezi Lodge’s other guests on one of the river decks
- The Bird House At Tongabezi: Sweeping views over the Zambezi River are a feature of every house. Great attention has been paid to the bathroom areas and a special feature is the huge open-air sunken bath in every room, where you can both unwind to the serenades of an African evening.
- The Tree House At Tongabezi: Tongabezi Lodge’s four houses are made and furnished with local materials and designed to complement and enhance the natural surroundings, whilst creating a feeling of intimacy and privacy. Each is unique and will pamper to your most romantic of moods.
- The Dog House At Tongabezi: Dominating each house is the huge, king-size bed, complete with luxurious down pillows and duvet, and a magnificent, airy mosquito net, so your sleeping comfort is assured when on honeymoon safari.
- The Nut House At Tongabezi: A haven from the elements, it is entirely enclosed with light streaming in through every wall. Charming glass tiles reflect the sunrise in African patterns onto the wood and stone floors. Folding doors open into the private garden and infinity plunge pool, all offering spectacular views over the Zambezi from the elevated position on the river bank.
- The River Cottage At Tongabezi: Tongabezi Lodge have five River Cottages situated along the river bank. Each has a large double bed or two singles, mosquito net, en-suite bath and shower, and both indoor and outdoor areas for relaxing, dining and enjoying the expansive river views.
- The Garden Cottage At Tongabezi: The Garden Cottage is the only cottage set back from the river (without views) in its own private walled garden. Designed in similar style to the houses, it has a luxury king size bed, an open-air sunken bath and includes a private living room with fireplace and an extra twin bedroom. An ideal place for a family or a couple looking for ultimate privacy.
Dining At Tongabezi
- Meals are superbly prepared in a fusion of western and traditional Zambian tastes and served on the decks of the lodge overlooking the river.
Activities From Tongabezi
Whitewater Rafting On Zambezi River: Seasonal Whitewater Rafting On Zambezi River are run in large rubber rafts, launched from just below the Falls. You can experience a half day trip, full day or two day.
Victoria Falls Bungi Jumping: The highest commercial bridge jump in the world with the most spectacular setting at Victoria Falls. This must be the ultimate adrenaline rush, as you leap into space, free fall, saved from the swirling water below by the rebound of the cord, then hurtled upwards again at great speed. It’s an indescribable feeling that will probably change your life.
Zambezi Canoeing at Victoria Falls: A canoeing Safari on the upper portion of the Zambezi River, is a wonderful relaxing way to enjoy the astonishingly beautiful scenery that lines the river before it takes its plunge over the Victoria Falls. This part of the river is dotted with many islands of varying size; home to many birds and small animals.
Elephant Back Safaris at Victoria Falls: Your Elephant Back Safari at Victoria Falls begins with a pickup from your accommodation and transfer to the elephant boma at Mosi Oa Tunya National Park where you are introduced to your specially trained elephants and their handlers.
Victoria Falls Helicopter Flight: Experience the Victoria Falls with a birds eye view. Take off from the helicopter site and climb to a height of 1500 feet above the ground, while approaching the magnificent Victoria Falls.
Other Livingstone Victoria Falls Tours are: Zambezi River Boat Cruise, Dinner On Royal Livingstone Express Train Service, Livingstone Island Tour, The David Livingstone Museum Tour, Railway Museum & Tour of Livingstone Town, Chief Mukuni Village Cultural Tour, Maramba Market, Mosi-o-Tunya National Park Safari, Tours On The Segway & many more