OVERVIEW ON HIPPO LODGE IN KAFUE
Hippo Lodge is situated along the banks of the Kafue River in Kafue National Park, Zambia. Kafue National Park is one of Africa’s largest game parks comprising 22,400km2 of breathtaking wilderness and the greatest species diversity of all the National Parks in Zambia. It hosts 158 species of mammal, 481 species of bird and 58 species of fish. This makes it a perfect destination for nature lovers, bird watchers and anglers alike.
Accommodation, Facilities & Amenities At Hippo Lodge
- Hippo Lodge is a small, vintage-style stone-built camp with four uniquely built private chalets and two rustic safari tents each with open-air stone bathrooms.
- Hippo Lodge has a peaceful and charming atmosphere heightened by it’s seclusion within the bush.
- Two types of accommodation are offered, depending on preference and availability, in thatched chalets or safari tents. All the accommodation has been uniquely designed and framed with exquisite views of the Kafue River and its surrounds.
- In authentic African-style, Hippo’s accommodation does not have electric lights; the rooms are softly lit by paraffin lamps at night. Solar power is available in the main lodge and bar area, and can be used to recharge batteries. All Hippo Lodge rooms are provided with hot water from wood-fired boilers.
- Hippo Lodge Honeymoon house (recently rebuilt) is a romantic house for couples set under large Jackal Berry trees on the edge of the river.
- Hippo Lodge Munjili House is a small family chalet and ideal for bird watching, set back from the river with great views of the bush and a pair of resident Crowned Eagles.
- Hippo Lodge Imberbe House is an impressive thatched A-frame for couples, nestled between two large Leadwood (Combretum Imberbe) trees.
- Stony House is a stunning and spacious self-catering villa that sleeps up to six people. It has its own kitchen and comes with cleaner/kitchen helper to assist you, and a laundry service. Guests can also make use of the full-board option at the normal daily rate.
- Two rustic safari-style tents, each accommodating two people with en-suite open-air stone bathrooms are situated among riverine woodland.
Dining At Hippo Lodge
- Creative and appetizing meals are prepared by a trained chef and served in an open dining room over looking the river. Adjacent to the Hippo Lodge dining room is a fully stocked bar and swimming pool a great place to cool off on a hot day or watch the sun go down. A small library of nature reference books and novels is also available to guests.
Activities At Hippo Lodge
- Morning, afternoon and night wildlife viewing and game drives.
- Experience Zambia’s renowned Africa walking safaris in Kafue National Park.
- River cruises and fishing, Ornithological experience, Visit to the hot springs & Sundowners