OVERVIEW ON CHONGWE RIVER HOUSE IN LOWER ZAMBEZI
Designed by Neil Rocher, this stunning private house is situated approximately 1 km from Chongwe River Camp. Chongwe River House is built of ferro walls and wild wood. So the walls follow the natural lines of the branches used. In fact there is not a single straight line to be seen! It is flowing and natural in every way.
Accommodation, Facilities & Amenities At Chongwe River House
- The location of the Chongwe River House is at the end of a massive winterthorn grove, on the banks of the peaceful Chongwe River, a tributary of the Zambezi.
- The view of the nearby mountainous escarpment is spectacular. From the main room you look out over the deck and pool to the river and mountains beyond. All the furniture in the sitting room has been carved from a single huge fallen winterthorn tree, as if it has fallen across the room. Beautifully soft colored pebbles from the Chongwe River have been embedded in the ceilings.
- The ground floor bedrooms are each entered through a tunnel which gives the feeling of walking through a cave. The curved entrance gives privacy without the need for doors. The downstairs bathrooms have water pouring out of the stone ceiling instead of the normal shower rose, whilst the upstairs showers are waterfalls. “Taps” are made from bone and wood and the exquisitely carved basins have been carved out of wood and white marble by the famous Zambian artist, Eddie Mumba. The upstairs bedrooms have unusual baths, from which you have a view across the bush
- The Chongwe area is famous for huge male elephants feeding through the winterthorn grove in which the house is situated and this amazing game experience is enhanced by the fact the Chongwe River itself it the main water source for most of the game in the area. From the bedrooms, the sitting room and the deck you will have game in view, feeding and watering.
- Uniquely designed private house for up to eight guests with four large ensuite bedrooms, massive dining/sitting area, swimming pool and platform.
- All activities are exclusive to the house guests. Equally suitable for families and groups (min age 7).Wide range of hosted activities for children, independent of parents, (with child minder available)
Dining At Chongwe River House
- Chongwe River House’s chef will prepare a wide variety of dishes, which are served at the outdoor dining table. Dining al fresco in the gloaming of an African night, under a canopy of stars with the sounds of the bush as a backdrop, is truly an unforgettable experience!
Activities At Chongwe River House
- Morning, afternoon and night wildlife viewing and game drives.
- Boat Safari – Wildlife viewing on the magnificent Zambezi River.
- Sunset and Sundowner cruises on the Zambezi River for honeymooners/special events.
- Fishing safari expeditions on the Zambezi River.
- Experience Zambia’s renowned Africa walking safaris in Lower Zambezi National Park.
- Canoeing down stream on the Zambezi River for adults travelers.