OVERVIEW ON MFUWE LODGE IN SOUTH LUANGWA – CENTRAL
When the Luangwa is in flood the hairpin bends along its tortuous route are progressively eroded away until the main stream cuts through one of its loops, leaving behind attractive oxbow lagoons which are one of the most picturesque aspects of the valley. Hidden away among the huge ebony and fig trees on the banks of one of these beautiful lagoons sits Mfuwe Lodge. Here exciting wilderness adventures are matched by the enchantment of the lodge, the warm welcome from the staff and the courtesy and efficiency of service. Mfuwe Lodge beckons you to participate in an exceptional African experience. The rare opportunity to combine the adventure of a lifetime with standards of luxury, comfort and service totally unexpected in the bush. The open plan central Mfuwe Lodge facility incorporates reception, lounge, dining and bar areas, under a thatch roof supported by palm poles and dominated by two impressive chimneys at opposite ends. This cool and airy central meeting place is the heart of the lodge. It opens onto a broad timber deck that cantilevers dramatically over the main lagoon. From the comfort of Mfuwe Lodge guests may view some of Africa’s majestic wildlife as animals come down to drink. Elephant, hippopotamus, many antelope species and crocodiles are plentiful in this area.
Accommodation, Facilities & Amenities At Mfuwe Lodge
- Mfuwe Lodge accommodation is provided in 18 open-plan chalets, each with en-suite bathroom.
- One third of each chalet’s perimeter can be opened, to allow the guest to enjoy the views, the sounds, the scents and the mood of the African wilderness.
- Each Mfuwe Lodge chalet has a large private deck overlooking one of the lagoons.
- Each Mfuwe Lodge chalet is decorated with superb attention to detail and is equipped with everything from refrigerator to shampoo and mosquito repellent
- The bathrooms have both bath and shower, with separate toilet. The bathing corner can be completely opened to offer guests an open-air bathing experience.
- Each sunken bath has its own private view of the lagoon. What better way to relax and forget the pressures of city life than to soak in the sights and sounds of the African bush!
- Five Mfuwe Lodge chalets are suites with an elevated sleeping area, to allow space for a double bed, and increased lounging area.
- Each room has a private bar. The thatched roof has been designed to guarantee maximum ventilation, even though all rooms on the lagoon are dramatically sheltered by huge ebony trees
- The deck area in front of the lounge accommodates the swimming pool which also overlooks the main lagoon. In between game drives, walks and meals, guests may relax around the pool or in the unique library which is entirely dedicated to nature conservation related issues, African culture, tradition and history. The library also include a video library and has its own timber deck which overlooks the main lagoon. Here people can read or write in peace and soak up the tranquility of Africa at its best.
Dining At Mfuwe Lodge
- Mfuwe Lodge also has an open boma for dinners under starlit African skies and earnest talk around the campfire. Activities from the lodge include day and night game drives; lion and leopard are often seen. The lodge offers walking safaris for closer contact with the game and exceptional bird watching. Dinner is sometimes served by lamplight on the poolside deck overlooking the lagoon.
Activities At Mfuwe Lodge
- Morning, afternoon and night wildlife viewing and game drives.
- Experience Zambia’s renowned Africa walking safaris in South Luangwa National Park.
- Ornithological experience, Sundowners & Community and village visits.